Friday, November 22, 2013

Ride through Town

Last night, we had company for dinner.  A couple and their two children from America who are colleagues with Andrew and Morgan.  The man is a music major and he teaches music workshops in villages.  He encourages the natives to use their own music and native instruments to worship the Lord rather than trying to Americanize everything.  As in many countries, Indian Christians tend to think that anything American equals Christianity.  They also regularly visit a needy neighborhood in Allahabad and minister there.  These people do not always have enough to eat and cannot afford even basic medical care.  The wife is studying midwifery in order to use it in such cases.
Today, I am doing the last of the washing of winter clothes in storage.  Even since August, the clothes have grown musty and some have mold.  It is in the 50's at night here and Morgan says it could get into the 30's in the nights to come.  I am so thankful that I have cooler weather right now as I visit.  It has not been uncomfortable at all.
They do have trouble with mosquitos still although not as bad as when it is warmer.  In fact, I am taking an antibiotic  to prevent against possible malaria spread by mosquitos.  Here is Justice under his mosquito net.

This time of year, they don't usually sleep under nets.  In fact, A&M have little zappers they plug in the wall which kill mosquitos, but Justice was getting some bites....so here we go.
I am loving India!  There are so many interesting sights when you go out.  We're going out shopping later and I'm looking forward to that.   Andrew invited me to ride with the driver on an errand today.  Here are a couple pictures.
Amos riding between the front seats...

Yes, we ARE heading straight into this traffic.....blow your horn and move forward....!!  We drove for 15 minutes through town and there were NO traffic lights or stop signs.  One thing that helps is that the traffic is not going super fast, but quick enough that you wonder how they avoid collisions.
This is a road construction crew.  This kind of thing makes me glad for America and it's equipment.  Hard work for sure!
 The elderly definitely look weathered....and they are thin.....a reflection of the difficult lives they lead.
There are many carts like this around.  We drove by  little stores as well.  Andrew said they don't all open before noon, but we saw a good number that were.....but then there is nap time....and who knows what all else that may interfere with store hours.
I guess I'm surprised at how widespread the poverty is.  For some reason, I had it in my head that the pictures I'd seen of poor India would be more isolated and scattered.  But, no, at least around here, it is the common way.  I think of the doctors and engineers in America who are from India and they seem to be exceptionally smart and so I thought that there would be more advanced standard of living in much of the country.  Missionary Mike mentioned that it is the very talented who are moving out of India instead of staying here.

No comments:

Post a Comment