Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Is it Safe?

I admit.....I was scared.  Riding a rickshaw at night in the dark was not the same as riding one during the day.  It didn't help that a rickshaw in India has no lights even at night.  They don't even have an orange warning triangle.....even the Amish buggies at home are required to have that....and most of us know it took some fatal accidents to get that to happen.   As the motorcycles/cars careened abruptly around us or as we swerved around pedestrians on foot, I found myself giving exclamations of warning or disapproval!  This driver either had stronger legs or a better bike than my first one.....and I wasn't sure if I was happy about that or not as our quicker speed added to my anxiety.  We had been to the mall and had arranged for a car driver to take us back, but that had fallen through (as it often can) and so we grabbed two rickshaws.  Andrew, Amos and Justice on one piled with our groceries and stroller....and Morgan, Josiah and I on the other.
As I looked at Morgan next to me holding her two week old baby on this adventurous ride, I reflected on how the older car seats we had tried to get rid of before we moved from Ft. Wayne were rejected by Goodwill and most customers as no longer being 'safe'.  I thought about how many families in America feel they need the $30,000-$40,000 vehicles which have the very best crash test ratings when they start having children.  Seriously wrapping their families in safety, safety, safety.  Okay, I understand why....it's not that I totally don't get that.  I'm just drawing a contrast and bringing some balance perhaps.  I was certainly concerned about safety for myself and grandchildren on this ride through the night.  But, as frantic comments flew from my lips and gasps came sharply from deep in my chest, I would glance at Morgan squeezed in next to me....a new mother....and hear her give her delightful chortle at my reactions.   I felt wonder arise in me at how God has shaped her and prepared her for these events. My sweet, quiet one who has a streak for adventure.  No, she had already said she didn't prefer a rickshaw at night if it could be avoided, but here we were, and she was chuckling.  Was she safe?  How vulnerable was her newborn at that moment?  What would keep him from flying off underfoot/vehicle if we were hit from behind? The thought came to mind of guardian angels watching carefully over God's children.  Who is safer?  In reality, injuries can occur in either place - a Honda Odyssey or a rickshaw....we must trust in God's protection....perhaps it is more about whether we FEEL safe.
I just read of the martyrdom of Stan Dale in Irian Jaya.  There were miraculous deliverances from death that occurred before God removed his hand of protection....and that was the key.  He was in danger for years, but until his time had come....
We returned home safely, unloaded our groceries, got the boys settled in bed.  I went to my room to try to relax my ball of nerves before getting some winks.  Soon I heard Andrew put on a CD of a piano player playing hymns.  It wasn't long until he could resist no longer and he was singing along with energy, commenting on how great various ones were.  Then Morgan joined in with her lovely soprano voice and they sang duet on several more hymns.  I rejoiced in my blessings, and thought, YES, they are safe.....I am uncomfortable though without man's trappings of safety.

Enough of my musings.  What you really want are pictures, right?  Here are some from our evening.  Sorry...none from the rickshaw ride.
 This is the mall.
The restaurant....very nice.
 This is their 'buffet'.  Each little cup has a different curry in it.  You are then served bread and rice to eat with the curries.  There are several waiters who literally stand and watch you eat and refill whatever cup is getting low.  The cost for everyones meal....altogether....was a whopping $11.
 They let you wash your hands with warm water before and after.
Amos wanted to ride in Justice's stroller so he suggested that Justice would ride on his lap...and that is what they did for some time.

An end note here that not everything is inexpensive in India.  Some items like peanut butter can be expensive.  Then household appliance like microwaves, refrigerators, etc.  can be even more than we pay in America.  

1 comment:

  1. This is my favorite post yet! I love reading your insights. :)

    ReplyDelete