Saturday, December 3, 2011

Youth and Disabled Meeting

We are back at Hazel's.  I think we've been here every day.  She lights the fire for us and we sit in the living room talking, doing handwork or reading.  It is quite the change of pace from my homelife!  It truly has been a vacation for me.  I know I'll hit the ground running when we get back home though with a field trip with Ariana the next morning and then work the next evening.
Last night, I went with Jordan to the youth meeting at the church which he helps lead.  There are 8-10 youth who come.  All of them do not attend church otherwise except for one girl.  Jordan was showing a video, Behind the Sun, which is fairly action packed, but the youth still didn't behave very well.  Lots of talking, sneaking food out of their pockets, and the like.  Jordan did a great job running the show and keeping track of them.  There were 4 other adults there, but only one seemed to be able to get the kids to listen to her except Jordan.  I have been thinking alot about the youth since last night.  I could tell their home lives were quite difficult so my heart went out to them.  The only story I knew was of a 12 or 13 year old girl who attends whose father killed her mother over anger because of an affair.  She truly was the most rambunctious of the group, singing loudly different words then the songs called for and such.  Several times I had to resist the urge to go over, draw her into my lap, wrap my arms around her and let God's soft love engulf her raw and harsh spirit.  Of course, I caught myself knowing that trouble would come if I did so.  But, she needed it.  I realize she also would eventually need some discipline over the knee as the love was received, but  it was clear her needs were not being met at the time.  However, she keeps coming to these meetings.  God knows and is there to help her.
This afternoon, Jordan spoke at the senior citizens Christmas luncheon.  He did so well at speaking and singing.  The people so appreciated it.  I felt blessed to be there!

No comments:

Post a Comment