Sunday, January 8, 2012

Family Ties

Our family ties are strong.  We understand each other on a spiritual level, and that's important to all of us.  We also get together regularly for holidays...and other times when we can.
But, we are spreading out and getting farther apart.  It hasn't been easy for me since the first days when the kids started leaving the house.  I enjoy them and value their company!
I was expressing to Don the other day how one of the children was saying how hard it would be to move away from family and miss the get togethers....I felt the same way.  Don answered something like,"We need to put the family ties aside and put the Kingdom first."  This statement could be taken as insensitive or a 'guy' thing to say.  But, the Holy Spirit started working with me about that as the statement kept running through my head.
I could feel the Lord causing my heart to begin to let go of my feelings of anxiety about my children moving far away.  A few days later, the Lord took it even further and told me, "You're going to be with them for eternity, you know."  I had to answer in gratefulness, "Yes, Lord.  How could I be so selfish?  I will always have eternity to look forward to.  Why wouldn't I want them to labor here for a few years?"  They are not mine, and I must not forget it, but keep them in an open hand for the work of the Kingdom.
God is good and helping in my weakness.

1 comment:

  1. I have thought some of the same thoughts! Of course we would love to be closer to our married children and the grandchildren, but we want them to be where God is using them in His kingdom.

    ReplyDelete